Machine Translation Effective?


Technological advances in recent years have helped to facilitate our tasks as translators. 

Back in the late 90’s when I first started my career as a translator, I was using big, thick and heavy dictionaries and reference books to check spelling and word meanings for translations. Now, I proactively use the Internet to check the information available and verify the adequacy of the words I chose. 

Nevertheless, I have never been fond of online translation services using machine translation technologies because they are never 100% accurate, and very hard to understand. The accuracy depends on language combinations and it certainly does not work well between Japanese and English. Such machine translation is unlikely to replace human translation techniques. 

There is no single answer to translation because there is a huge gap between approaches in English and Japanese. If you want a good solid translation, I would say that you have to have an actual person translating it for you.